Friday, October 12, 2007

Addison's Baby Dedication at the Beach...

Pastor Pete's message to us at the dedication:

Addison Grace Smith

I think God has orchestrated this moment since the beginning of time. Just a few weeks ago Kim and I did dinner with Dan and Kari and they wanted to talk about baptisms and a baby dedication. It has been such a joy to see Dan and Kari and their family grow spiritually over the last year. Their story is so unique, and a testimony to their love for each other and their Faith in Christ. What a joy for us to be apart of this with them, here in North Carolina. I envision that Jesus did ministry this same way, celebrating and baptizing new life, at a home one evening in Jerusalem. Tonight we want to stop time, and enjoy this moment. Before to long you will be walking her down the isle to give her away. But for now, Addie is in your arms and your care, and we will not rush anything.

Addison, Your full name is so rich in meaning. I know your mom and dad picked these names with a purpose for you and your life. Today I want to look at your full name but really soak in the beauty of what Grace means. But first let’s look at Addison: Addison literally means, “Son of Adam”. Did you know Addie that Christ was called both the Son of Adam and the Son of God. This was so he might be a proper Mediator between God and the sons of Adam, and might bring the sons of Adam to be, through him, the sons of God. What beautiful visuals we get in the meaning alone of your name. May you one day have the eyes and heart of Christ full of compassion and love as you share the story of how Christ rescued us and gave us life. Addie your name may be a character on Greys Anatomy but even better than that, you share the name of Christ. I couldn’t think of anyone better to share a common name with. May you be God’s mediator for this world and share the good news of the gospel of Christ.

Addison Grace. When I think of Grace, I think of a definition I once heard, Grace is God’s riches at Christ’s expense. We are totally unable to save ourselves, there is nothing we can do, we are saved through and act of God’s will and grace. Ephesians 2:5 says, “it is by Grace that you have been saved”. The beautiful thing about this verse is as we know it has more than one meaning. Dan, Kari, because of the pregnancy and birth of Grace, kari we could say that your life was saved. God had that all perfectly orchestrated. When we hear those words will always praise God for what he did with this little life, this life, that gave life. Ephesians 2:5 a verse so rich with meaning and life. Addie, I challenge you to be a giver of grace to all who come across your path. May you be blessed in giving of yourself as God has given himself for you, keep your eyes on him to teach you how to live out the meaning of your name.

Dan and Kari, today is about the celebration of the life of your daughter Addison. I know you realize she is a gift from God. I know you want nothing more than blessings to rain down on her. Today is the day that you publicly speak out to friends, Family and to God that you will raise her up in Christ and Christ alone. And we pray that day will come when she makes that decision to follow Christ. And we commit today that we are here as friends and family to walk this journey called LIFE with you, realizing that journeys are full of adventures, ups and downs, twists and turns, maybe even some 13 second pit stops. And this adventure has started out pretty special. With a little girl named Addie. Today we dedicate Addison Grace Smith, and ask God to direct every step that she takes, starting with her first one.

(Hand Oil to Dan)

Addison Grace Smith , we now dedicate to the Lord, anointing her in the name of the father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Addison may you always be a Helper all the days of your life.

By: Pastor Pete Green
Sept 2007

No comments: